Investigators Say Beth Haven Fire Caused by Lit Cigarette
Investigators now believe the apartment fire at Beth Haven Christmas Eve was caused by a lit cigarette.
Hannibal firefighters were called to Beth Haven Retirement Community about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.
They found the fire was confined to one apartment and was quickly extinguished.
A woman in the apartment at the time of the fire was hospitalized.
The woman reportedly told investigators she was a smoker and the fire likely started from a cigarette that was left lit as she fell asleep.
None of the other apartments at Beth Haven were affected by the fire.