Investigators now believe the apartment fire at Beth Haven Christmas Eve was caused by a lit cigarette.

Hannibal firefighters were called to Beth Haven Retirement Community about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday.

They found the fire was confined to one apartment and was quickly extinguished.

A woman in the apartment at the time of the fire was hospitalized.

The woman reportedly told investigators she was a smoker and the fire likely started from a cigarette that was left lit as she fell asleep.
None of the other apartments at Beth Haven were affected by the fire.

More From KHMO-AM 1070, News-Talk-Sports