Hannibal Recycling Resumes With Restrictions
Recycling is making its return to Hannibal and residents are more than ready. Two Rivers Industries has announced the group will reopen the facility off Clinic Road on Aug. 3. This comes with a host of COVID-19 restrictions though, so you'll want to check this list before you go. Caution is necessary because the recycling center employs special needs workers who can be more susceptible to the virus.
RULES AND RESTRICTIONS:
- Recycling Drop-Off hours start at 7:30 a.m. Monday – Friday and will remain open until 2:00 p.m. or until available hoppers are full.
- All materials that are dropped will be required to have a wait time before processing. During the wait time, the materials must sit, untouched by employees, for the recommended time before any employee can sort the materials. All hoppers will be sealed once they are filled and marked with the date and time and removed from the front area of the building.
- Plastic will NOT be accepted at this time. This will be evaluated on a regular basis and changed as it is safe and feasible to do so.
- Cardboard will be accepted; however, it must be free of contaminated items (food, plastic, Styrofoam, etc.) and broken down and folded flat. Once flat, the customer can place the cardboard into the designated hopper as specified by 2 Rivers staff. When a hopper is full, the hopper will start its wait time. Cardboard wait time is 24 hours.
- Paper Products will be accepted; however, it must be free of contaminated items (plastic wrap/bags and other foreign materials). All paper must be dry, no wet paper will be accepted to eliminate mold growth during wait times. Additionally, multiple paper collection containers will be available; mixed paper, magazines/books and office paper will be separated on-site. Paper wait time up to 5 days.
- Electronics will be accepted, with no restrictions.
- Metal products will be accepted, separate hoppers will be provided for aluminum cans, steel cans and misc. metals. General metal wait time is 5 days. Aluminum wait time 2-8 hours.
- Glass, food grade only, will be accepted. Glass wait time is up to 5 days.
- No non-recyclable materials will be accepted.
- No items will be placed on the ground, all items must be placed in the appropriate collection container.
- Two-Rivers staff will be present during collection to provide direction and answer questions.
Executive Director Melonie Nevels said, "It was definitely my goal and the goal of our Board of Directors to get our business open and provide the recycling services for the citizens of Hannibal while providing safe, meaningful and dignified employment to our employees. There are so many obstacles to address to try to prevent exposures to this virus. After many brainstorming sessions, this plan is what is thought to work best."
The restrictions may change as the recycling center transitions into reopening. You can visit their website www.2riversind.org for the latest information