Hannibal Rural Fire crews responded to a report of smoke coming from the attic of a home on Lela Lane in the Clear Creek Subdivision off Highway 61 at 5:16 p.m. Sunday.

The owners of the home, Michael and Christy Adams, told authorities that their family had been enjoying Christmas Eve around a wood burning fireplace. They heard popping sounds coming from the attic and observed smoke coming from a sewer vent pipe.

Fire crews were able to confine the fire to the attic while the family got their wrapped Christmas presents out of the house.

The attic suffered fire damage, while there was water damage to the main floor and the basement. No one was hurt.

Fire crews were on the scene until about 8:40 p.m.

More From KHMO-AM 1070, News-Talk-Sports