Fireworks Cause Ralls County Residential Fire Sunday
Fireworks caused a residential fire in rural Ralls County Sunday night.
According to Hannibal Rural Fire Protection District Chief Mike Dobson, firefighters responded to a structure fire on Fir Place in Ralls County off Highway 79 at 8:09 p.m. Sunday.
When fire crews arrived, a neighbor was using a garden hose to control a fire in the laundry room of the home. The fire was fully extinguished in about ten minutes.
Damage to the home was limited to the laundry room and the back corner of the home. There was also damage to a riding lawn mower.
An investigation revealed that the owner of the home, Christine Ogden, had been supervising her 12-year-old son lighting fireworks when a large box of fireworks caught fire close to the home.
Ogden suffered burns trying to get away from the fireworks. She declined treatment at the scene. No other injuries were reported.
Firefighters were on the scene about an hour-and-a-half.