Hannibal Regional – 115 Years Strong
One hundred and fifteen years ago the legacy of Hannibal Regional began. At the turn of the twentieth century, there was no hospital to serve citizens of northeast Missouri. With the opening of Levering Hospital on February 2, 1903, the need for hospital care was met and the first part of what would become Hannibal Regional was created. More than a century later, Hannibal Regional continues this commitment to being the leader in healthcare, furthering their mission of guiding the community to better health and shaping the future of healthcare for its residents.
Prior to the opening of Levering Hospital, the sick were cared for in the home, and any surgery needed was performed there or in a doctor’s office. In 1901, Aaron R. Levering, President of the Farmers and Merchants Bank of Hannibal, and his wife, Eleanor M. Levering, recognized the need for a hospital to serve the community. The Leverings dedicated land and donated funds for the construction of a hospital in Hannibal and it would be called “Levering Hospital”.
When Levering Hospital opened its doors it was the first erected hospital in northeast Missouri and contained twenty-six patient beds. Throughout its history, Levering Hospital received the support of many other contributors in the form of time, talent and funds. Over the years citizens, religious and civil organizations, and the Levering Hospital Auxiliary generously and unselfishly gave their energy and money to the hospital, truly making it a “Community Partnership.”
A few years later, St. Elizabeth’s Hospital was organized and founded by the Sisters of St. Francis of Maryville, MO. The Reverend Mother, M. Augustine, founder of the Sisters of St. Francis, was also the founder of St. Elizabeth’s Hospital. The land for the hospital was purchased in the fall of 1913, and the hospital was completed and received its first patients in the summer of 1915. Eight young, energetic nursing sisters were sent to Hannibal to operate the hospital. These sisters, with the help of some local citizens, readied the newly constructed hospital to serve the community. This hospital was located on Virginia Street and had thirty-five patient beds.
In July 1987, after many months of discussion and planning, the Board of Directors for both Levering Hospital and St. Elizabeth Hospital entered into an affiliation agreement to explore the consolidation of both hospitals. In 1988, the two facilities merged, forming Hannibal Regional Hospital.
In addition to celebrating the legacy as an independent provider of health care for the past 115 years, in March Hannibal Regional celebrates its twenty-fifth anniversary at their current location. Expanding beyond hospital services, Hannibal Regional now has over 1,200 team members serving 12 counties, offices located in 11 communities, 85 providers and 21 specialties, Hannibal Regional continues to lead the way in providing access to exceptional healthcare and guiding the residents of Northeast Missouri to BETTER.