Coroner: Missouri Man Might Not Have Died From Snakebite
A coroner says a southwest Missouri man who was bitten twice by a snake might have died from other causes.
A toxicology report says 37-year-old Gilbert De Leon of Nixa was legally drunk and had high levels of prescription drugs in his blood when he died in May.
De Leon was bitten on both legs, likely by a cottonmouth snake, while he was wading May 22 in the James River. His girlfriend found him dead the next day.
Christian County Coroner Brad Cole says he hopes to determine an official cause of death in a couple weeks.
The Springfield News-Leader reports the toxicology analysis didn't test for snake venom. But Cole says the alcohol and two narcotics would have made respiratory distress from the bites worse.