Boy Who Died in Missouri Fire Had Removed Gas Cap Lids
A newly released report says that a 4-year-old Springfield boy who died in a fire had removed the caps from gasoline containers, possibly because he wanted to fuel up lawnmowers.
The Springfield News-Leader reports that the vapor from the gas containers apparently ignited on Jan. 14 when it reached the pilot light on a water heater. Fire Marshal Mike Epps says Bentley Garrison was caught in the flash fire and quickly became unconscious. He eventually died from his injuries.
His father rescued his 1-year-old brother but inhaled smoke while trying to reach Bentley. Two neighbors rushed into the home to help.
Fire Marshal Ben Basham says the department's best guess is that Bentley was trying to "help" by fueling up lawnmowers that were in the laundry room.