Authorities say a 5-year-old boy crawled beneath the smoke filling a California home to alert his sleeping grandmother to a fire, allowing them to escape unharmed.

San Bernardino County officials say smoke woke up the child early Saturday at the home in the Phelan area. He crawled down a hallway to his grandmother's room and woke her up.

When fire crews arrived, heavy smoke and flames were shooting from all sides of the single-story house. After learning that the family's Chihuahua didn't make it out, firefighters went in and rescued the dog from a bathroom.

The fire was knocked down in about 15 minutes. No injuries were reported.

A news release says a preliminary investigation found the fire was sparked by a space heater placed too close to combustible materials.

Fire Truck

More From KHMO-AM 1070, News-Talk-Sports