Tips for Driving in Winter Weather [Video]
A two-minute video from the Missouri Department of Transportation offers motorists tips for staying safe when forced to drive in winter weather conditions.
Subscribe to KHMO-AM 1070, News-Talk-Sports on
Althougth the department recommends avoiding driving when roads are snow and ice covered, sometimes circumstances make it necessary. When that happens MoDOT reminds people to:
- Take it slow. Use common sense, and adjust your speed and following distance to suit driving conditions.
- Give snowplows plenty of room. Around five car lengths. And never try to pass them.
- Always wear your seat belt regardless of the weather conditions.
- Watch for other vehicles having problems with road conditions.
- If you must go out, carry a fully charged cell phone, water, snacks, a working flashlight and a set of dry clothing.
Finally, if you get stuck, stay with the vehicle and call 911. Turn on your flashers and settle in for a wait.