Authorities say one person has been injured in a fire at a home in Nixa.

The Springfield News-Leader reports the fire broke out just after 8 a.m. Sunday. According to a news release from the Nixa Fire Protection District, firefighters arrived at the home and found heavy smoke coming from the home's attached garage.

Firefighters were able to get the fire under control and evacuate the family inside. The release says one person was taken to a hospital with minor burns.

According to the news release, the fire was caused by a cigarette that was not properly put out.

ThinkStock