Missouri Defense Shuts Down SEMO
No. 24 Missouri was a 34-3 winner against Southeast Missouri State behind the defensive work of Kentrell Brothers. Brothers had a career-best 16 tackles and blocked a punt that was returned for a touchdown.
Wildcats stun Stanford
UNDATED (AP) - Northwestern has opened its college football schedule with a victory over a ranked team.
Clayton Thorson and Justin Jackson led the Wildcats' offense while the defense shut down Stanford in a 16-6 triumph over the 21st-rated Cardinal in Evanston. Thorson scored the game's first touchdown on a 42-yard run in the second quarter and was 12 of 24 for 105 yards and no turnovers. Jackson had 134 yards rushing to help Northwestern keep the Cardinals' offense off the field.
Stanford wasn't the only ranked Pac-12 team to fall on Saturday. Kyle Allen threw for two touchdowns and ran for another as Texas A&M topped 15th-ranked Arizona State 38-17. Allen's 12-yard scoring run put the Aggies ahead 24-14 in the fourth quarter.
Alabama won a top-25 matchup as Derrick Henry rushed for 147 yards and three touchdowns to carry the third-ranked Crimson Tide to a 35-17 triumph over No. 20 Wisconsin. Jake Coker started at quarterback for the Tide and was 15 of 21 passing for 213 yards and a touchdown while playing until late in the third quarter.
No. 14 LSU and McNeese State had their game canceled following persistent lightning strikes near Baton Rouge. The two teams waited through a delay of almost four hours before the game was called early in the first quarter.
In other college football games:
- Sixth-ranked Auburn overcame Jeremy Johnson's three interceptions in a 31-24 triumph over Louisville. Justin Garrett returned a fumble 82 yards to make it 14-0.
- Vernon Adams threw for two touchdowns and Royce Freeman ran for a career-high 180 yards and three scores to highlight seventh-ranked Oregon's 61-42 shootout over Eastern Washington. Adams was helped to the locker room following a late hit in the fourth quarter.
- Cody Kessler was sharp in Southern Cal's 55-6 rout of Arkansas State, completing 19 of his 26 passes for 236 yards and four touchdowns before sitting out the fourth quarter. Tre Madden and Ronald Jones II combined for 192 rushing yards and two scores.
- No. 9 Georgia rolled past Louisiana-Monroe 51-14 in a game that was called off by both coaches with just under 10 minutes left because of lightning in the area. Nick Chubb and Keith Marshall each had two touchdown runs for the Bulldogs.
- Everett Golson made his Florida State debut and was 19 of 25 for 302 yards and four touchdowns to carry the 10th-ranked Seminoles to a 59-16 pounding of Texas State. Dalvin Cook padded FSU's attack by running for 156 yards and two scores.
- Malik Zaire was 19 of 22 for 313 yards in his first home start to engineer 11th-ranked Notre Dame's offense in a 38-3 rout of Texas. Will Fuller caught a pair of touchdown passes and finished with 142 yards, while the Irish defense limited the Longhorns to 163 total yards.
- Deshaun Watson threw for 194 yards and two TDs in less than a half as 12th-ranked Clemson hammered Wofford 49-10. Tigers All-ACC receiver Mike Williams was carted off the field following a scary neck injury, but team officials said he was standing up at the hospital and had full use of all extremities.
- Freshman Josh Rosen passed for 351 yards and three touchdowns for 13th-ranked UCLA in a 34-16 victory over Virginia. Thomas Duarte, Devin Fuller and defensive tackle Kenny Clark caught scoring passes from the 18-year-old Rosen, who went 28 for 35 with no turnovers in an auspicious Rose Bowl debut.
- Chad Kelly threw for 211 yards and two touchdowns and ran for another to lead No. 17 Mississippi to a 76-3 rout of Tennessee-Martin. The Rebels finished with 662 total yards in their highest scoring output since 1935.
- No. 18 Arkansas hammered UTEP 48-13 as Brandon Allen threw for a career-high 308 yards and four first-half touchdowns. Keon Hatcher finished with six catches for 106 yards and two scores.
CHAMPAIGN, Ill. (AP) - Wes Lunt passed for four touchdowns and Illinois routed Kent State 52-3 in the opener for both teams on Saturday, a day after it was re-scheduled due to lightning. An Illini team looking to bounce back from a season of off-field turmoil took a 38-0 halftime lead Saturday and cruised to the win in Champaign.
- Baker Mayfield passed for 388 yards and three touchdowns, and Joe Mixon had 142 yards from scrimmage to lead No. 19 Oklahoma's 41-3 rout of Akron.
- Jalen Hurd had three first-half touchdown runs and Alvin Kamara ran for two more as No. 25 Tennessee thumped Bowling Green 59-30 in a game delayed 80 minutes by lightning.
Major League Baseball:
St. Louis 4, Pittsburgh 1
Chicago Cubs 2, Arizona 0
Chicago White Sox 6, Kansas City 1
(Cards and Pirates Sunday night on KHMO, airtime is 6:10 p.m.)