Fire Ravages Louisiana Home
(Louisiana, Mo)--A family of five escaped unhurt as flames heavily damaged a Louisiana home early Tuesday.
Kim Haddock awoke to find the power had gone out and saw flames outside her bedroom window about 3 a.m. She woke up her husband, Mike, and sons Hayden, Mason and Landon, and then called 9-1-1.
Haddock credits firefighters with saving family heirlooms. Crews from Louisiana, Buffalo Township, Pleasant Hill, Pittsfield and Spring Creek responded.
Louisiana Fire Chief Mike Lesley said the cause was accidental electrical and that the fire started outside the sunroom on the west side of the two-story wood frame house at 1601 Georgia Street.
The home dates to the 1800s and was extensively refurbished in the 1920s. Haddock said the family was insured.
They hadn’t thought about where they were to stay Tuesday night, but Haddock said the family has relatives and friends in Louisiana.
Georgia Street was closed for about six hours.
*Story contributed by journalist Brent Engel.