An Umbrella Could be Fitting Father’s Day Gift
Rodney Dangerfield would probably say Mother Nature needs to show more respect this Father’s Day. According to the National Weather Service, the chance of showers and thunderstorms Sunday is placed at 40%. The forecast for the remainder of the week calls for a chance of rain each day.
Thunderstorms and high winds hit parts of the tri-state area Saturday night. Lee County, Iowa, particularly the Fort Madison area, was hard hit with reports of power outages due to fallen tree limbs.
The Hannibal Filter Plant recorded just over an inch and a half of rain overnight, while some areas reported between 2 and 5 inches. So far in June, Hannibal has received a total of 7.23 inches of rain, more than double the average for the entire month.
The rain has prompted the National Weather Service in St. Louis to issue Flash Flood Warnings for a number of cities:
FLASH FLOOD WARNING NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE ST LOUIS MO 1008 AM CDT SUN JUN 21 2015:
. CALHOUN COUNTY IN SOUTHWEST ILLINOIS... EASTERN AUDRAIN COUNTY IN CENTRAL MISSOURI... LINCOLN COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL MISSOURI... MONTGOMERY COUNTY IN EAST CENTRAL MISSOURI... PIKE COUNTY IN NORTHEAST MISSOURI... SOUTHERN PIKE COUNTY IN WEST CENTRAL ILLINOIS... SOUTHERN RALLS COUNTY IN NORTHEAST MISSOURI... * UNTIL 400 PM CDT
* AT 1004 AM CDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR INDICATED SLOW MOVING THUNDERSTORMS WITH VERY HEAVY RAINFALL ACROSS THE WARNED AREA. THESE STORMS ARE MOVING OVER AREAS THAT RECEIVED BETWEEN 2 TO 5 INCHES OF RAINFALL FROM THUNDERSTORMS LAST NIGHT.
MANY ROADS IN THE WARNED AREA REMAIN UNDER WATER BECAUSE OF FLOODING FROM LAST NIGHT'S STORMS.
* RUNOFF FROM THIS EXCESSIVE RAINFALL WILL CAUSE FLASH FLOODING TO OCCUR. SOME LOCATIONS THAT WILL EXPERIENCE FLOODING INCLUDE...
HARDIN...HAWK POINT...LADDONIA...MARTINSBURG...MOSCOW MILLS...NEW HARTFORD...PERRY...PIKE...PLEASANT HILL...SPENCERBURG AND WINFIELD.
THIS WARNING INCLUDES CUIVRE RIVER STATE PARK.
DO NOT DRIVE YOUR VEHICLE INTO AREAS WHERE THE WATER COVERS THE ROADWAY. THE WATER DEPTH MAY BE TOO GREAT TO ALLOW YOUR CAR TO CROSS SAFELY.
A FLASH FLOOD WARNING MEANS THAT FLOODING IS IMMINENT OR OCCURRING. IF YOU ARE IN THE WARNING AREA MOVE TO HIGHER GROUND IMMEDIATELY.
RESIDENTS LIVING ALONG STREAMS AND CREEKS SHOULD TAKE IMMEDIATE PRECAUTIONS TO PROTECT LIFE AND PROPERTY. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CROSS SWIFTLY FLOWING WATERS OR WATERS OF UNKNOWN DEPTH BY FOOT OR BY AUTOMOBILE.
The Mo DOT Traveler Information Map reports the following road closures as of 10 a.m.:
- MO 154 both directions at Spencer Creek in Ralls County is
closed due to flooding since 09:53:00 AM on Sun Jun 21 2015.
- A portion of MO 79 in Pike County is closed in both directions
near the Mississippi River, due to water over the road .
- Pike County Route P is closed in both directions near the Mississippi.
- Pike County Route H Both Directions due to flooding.